Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bahia: Just Out Of The Woods

Okay so like I said I was going to write a review on a very deserving and talented artist and that I am doing right now with Bahia's album "Just out of the Woods." I was in my room the other night and had some free time and I saw her album sitting on the shelf that I had found when I cleaned my room recently. I took a look at the album cover and looked at the photo of Bahia playing her classical guitar. The picture is really what interested me into giving the album a listen because I am a big fan of the classical guitar, being into genres like flamenco and jazz, so I popped it into my computer and at first I didn't know what to expect but quickly I realized that my decision to listen to her album was a very good one.

The album starts with the slow melodic intro on classical guitar, cello, and hand percussion instruments from the song Dharma and then after a measure or two she starts to sing the first verse with a soft singing voice that leads into the chorus which really carrys the song as then a drumset starts to be played and she sings a catchy hook with great lyrics. The outtro is great as she just uses her voice as an instrument without using words and then it leads back to the soft, slow melody of the intro. The second song on the album is probably my favorite or close. The song is titled "Freedom Passion Poison Potion" and it has a nice unique melody with poetic lyrics that make you wonder what this potion she is singing about really is. The song is very entrancing and I was really able to get into it which was placed perfectly as the second track because from that point I was hooked and knew I was going to listen to the album in it's entirety.
The whole album is a true work of art and I highly recommend it to anyone. Especially for folk fans of artists like Nick Drake and others of the like. She blends her folk style of songwriting with cool exotic styles blended with some pop hooks that keep you listening. The producers of the album did a great job adding other instruments to her songs to make them fully live up to their potential. Her guitar playing on the classical guitar is executed perfectly to compliment her peaceful sounding voice. What is truly cool about her album is that all of the songs seem so "her." It's remarkable that even though I do not know her and have never met her and maybe only exchanged a few words with her via e-mail many months ago, I feel as if I know her so well and that I have known her for quite some time. That is truly a gift when an artist is able to connect to the listener through their music and I knew that I had to blog about her and tell as many people as I could. There are a few more surprises throughout the album including the final track "Apple Tree" being an acapella number.
If you are like me and can appreciate songs that are very meaningful and artistic, then I high recommend that you get this album because I have already listened to it several times since I discovered how wonderful of an album it is. I wish I had listened to it sooner but hey, what can I do? Anyways check it out!!! Thanks for reading and stay posted for more later!


No comments:

Post a Comment