Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ayub Bacchu: a great artist from Bangladesh!

I have a couple students that I teach guitar and drums to who are from Bangladesh which is actually where my girlfriend is from as well and I've come to realize over the years that my favorite artists are always recomendations from friends of mine so I asked them "Who is a good musician from Bangladesh?" and they recomended that I check out Ayub Bacchu who is the guitarist and singer of the group "LRB (Love Runs Blind)." I went on youtube and looked him up and I found a video for the song "Shey Tara Vora Rate" and gave it a listen and I fell in love with the music right away! In that particular song he was playing mainly phrygian mode stuff which I love because of it's exotic sound that you mainly hear played by Spanish guitarists. Spanish guitar such as flamenco is one of my favorite styles of music out there and to hear him blend it with Indian style singing made an excellent combination!!! Of course the lyrics are in Bengali but from what my girlfriend told me after I asked her what the title of the song translated to in English was that it meant "A star filled sky." I asked her some of the other lyrics and it seems to be pretty much a love song which you can never go wrong with.
My students had told me when the recomended him to me was that he is one of the best guitarists in Southeast Asia and after watching a few more videos I definately have to agree! I totally dig his unique style and I recomend that everyone who reads this blog go ahead and check him out on youtube, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed as long as you are open to new styles of music from across the globe! I myself went ahead and looked up the chords and have begun learning how to play the song on the guitar... the only difficulty that I'm having currently is learning the lyrics being as there in Bengali but that makes it more fun to me anyway! Anyways like I said go and check him out, I'm sure that you won't be dissapointed in the least litte bit!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment