Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Playing for Change: Street Musicians of the World

I found a documentry titled "Playing For Change" where they go around the country interviewing and recording street musicians from all over the world. I myself have been a street musician in one of the best cities in America for buskers: Savannah, Georgia. In the documentry they interview all types of street musicians of all styles from blues players to folk singers to even latin groups. The streets have no rules and you never know what kind of great music you can walk up on! They would record a guy playing one instrument from one city and then travel on to the next and record another guy playing a different instrument over the track and go on doing that until they've created an awesome collaboration all on one track!
I've heard people on the documentry talking about the adventurous life of the street musician and I myself was totally able to identify with them. It's just a fun expierence over all from being able to play my music and make a little extra cash doing what I'd be doing in my bedroom anyway and getting to meet awesome and fun people while doing it. It's fun meeting other street musicians and jamming with them right there on the streets and the people who walk by always seem to enjoy groups preforming together on the street as well. When I played on River St. in Savannah, Ga I knew all the other street musicians and had a lot of fun hanging out and making friends. A couple of the friends I made down there are the most popular buskers in the city such as Old Walter who always posts up by the anchor statue. He's been playing in the same spot on River Street for a decade or two. When I first arrived to Savannah and walked down the street carrying my guitar on my back searching for a good spot to post up and start playing I walked past him holding his guitar and he said hello so I went and sat down next to him and said "Hey man, you play guitar?" "A little bit." was his reply.I said "Maybe we could jam some time" and he said "You couldn't keep up with me. How long have you been playing?" I told him that I had been playing 8 years and asked him how long he been playing for and he said "Not long, just 43 years." Ah Old Walter had a good sense of humor. We did wind up jamming together and I was able to keep up just fine to his suprise. He was a good guy who took me under his wing and showed me around and told me who to stay away from. Next time I go down to Savannah I'm going to pay him a visit and throw a dollar or two in his tip pail after he sings "Wonderful World."
Make sure that you check out the documentry, it's a very interesting and fun look at street musicians who you normally wouldn't give a second thought!



Oh and you can get the dvd that I saw here:


They have a few other dvd's and cd's but that was the particular one that I saw so I listed it.

1 comment:

  1. hi :) thanks for visiting me :)
    really loved it. i'm following your blog now :)

    --Princess

    http://ColorMePrincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete