Saturday, May 29, 2010

Rodrigo Y Gabriela: A great flamenco duo!

I know I just wrote a review about another flamenco artist last week but it's what I've been listening to lately and this duo is truly amazing! This group has actually caused me to believe that flamenco might be hitting the mainstream soon because I was browsing music videos on Comcast's On Demand and I found a video for their song "Diablo Rojo" and to find a flamenco video On Demand was a pretty cool thing to see!
The duo are originally from Mexico but moved to Dublin, Ireland and started preforming in pubs and busking for a living when they got their big break and now tour and preform all over the world! Gabriela is the rythmn guitarist and she plays amazing percussive guitar and rasqueado right hand techniques which really give them a much more fuller sound as if there are more members of the band! Rodrigo plays lead guitar and damn good lead at that! They met when they played in a metal band back in Mexico together is what I've heard and they are heavily influenced by metal which you can totally hear in their music. All of their songs are instrumental and they do great instrumental flamenco covers of Metallica songs and they also do a great cover of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven."
If you haven't checked out Rodrigo Y Gabriela yet I highly recommend that you do ASAP! I'll post some of their cd's here if you wanna just go ahead and get one!






No comments:

Post a Comment