Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Eric Hansen: Nuevo Flamenco Romancero

So in my last blog about Ayub Bacchu I mentioned how in his song "Shey Tara Vora Rate" it had somewhat of a Spanish sound to the guitar in it which is a sound I truly love. The guitar was invented in Malaga, Spain so I naturally assume that that's probably why Spanish guitar is arugeably the best guitar playing in the world. One of my favorite genres of music is "Flamenco Guitar" which is Spanish guitar to the max! With that being said, I was at the library a couple of weeks ago and they have a section where you can check out compact discs. I made my way over to the "International" section so I could check out a few cds of artists from around the world and I found a cd by a guy named Eric Hansen titled "Nuevo Flamenco Romancero" in fact, it was the first cd I picked up that day. I knew that I would enjoy it because I've been going through a pretty big flamenco phase currently so I checked it out along with a few others and popped it in the cd player on the way home.
The first track was a cover of Roberta Flack's (and many other's) "Killing Me Softly With His Song." I instantly fell in love with his sound. He took the song and completely made it his own by playing the entire song instrumentally playing the vocal melodies on his guitar as well as the rythmn of the song as well while adding that amazing flamenco style to it. "Killing Me Softly" is already such a great song and to hear it played in the style of flamenco guitar was a real treat to me. The next track on the disc was "Careless Whisper" which transfered over to flamenco so well, I knew that this album would be one of the best albums I'd ever heard and I was not disapointed at all. The whole cd is covers of popular songs I believe. I few other songs that were familiar to my ears were: "Fields of Gold", "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman", "If You Leave Me Now", and "Sailing."
The album was a treasure for me to find at the library, a true masterpiece. It was been the album I've put on almost every night before bed and has inspired me with my own music. Eric Hansen is extremely talented and knows what he is doing. I did a little search online to find out more about Eric Hansen but I haven't fould a lot so he must not be very well known and I strongly suggest that you check him out! I promise you will not be disapointed!!!!!

I am signed up with Amazon Associates and have found the album so if you are interested in buying it and at the same time helping support this blog you can get it here:

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I checked out those songs you listed and I personally loved them. This is a great review, you should do more reviews like this. It's a nice steady length, and great to read. Good work bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris! Yeah I was blessed to find this album, it's definately one of my favorites now. I will be doing more reviews like this and I appreciate your feedback so that I know what kind of reviews to write. I found another great album that I'll probably be blogging about tonight.

    ReplyDelete